I worked on the Bodice last night which is far the most important and most labor intensive of the whole dress. Finding the right fabric for the appliqued hearts was hard at first but I scored a remnant piece in the clearance bin at Joann’s 1 1/4 yards for $4. It was $14 a yard, so score! In the game the hearts definitely look like they are glistening, maybe beads or crystals. the fabric I found was a semi-opaque mirrored material. It was also light gold. I debated whether the Hearts were Gold or Pink but settled on Gold as pink seemed out of place but I think there are pink crystals on the dress in some places.And will add some here and there if I have time.
I need to shorten the sleeves by about an inch and will work on that tomorrow afternoon. They need to be shorter in order to show off the arm warmers properly. Right now, I have the trim pinned and it’s ready for . I prefer handsewing as I think it will look better but I may end up machine sewing some of it. I also have picked up a new textile glue by Alene’s. Same company that makes Tacky glue. I may end up using it for the trim in some places.I did a test piece and it held very well, No puckering or lumps. I think it’s a great product. Better than any fabric glue I have used before though I still live and breathe by E 6000. That’s the glue I always go to when I need to get something to stick. The only thing about the Alene’s is that it smells like airplane glue, pretty toxic. I guess if I was a huffer (lol), I might like it better. But I’ll stick with E6000 for most of my costume making. I’ve been through tons of tubes of the stuff, it’s never failed me.
Next I will be adding the outer skirt and work on the bow in the back, the skull sculpture on the back and the apron. I plan on making her Omega necklace out of Sculpey.