I finally solved some sewing issues I had. I have not sewn anything since my body has changed,so I had a bit of trial with fitting the bodice for the simplicity pattern. I spent hours working on it and still could not get it to sit flat like I needed. So I decided to completely re-do the dress using Vogue Pattern V7848. It’s an A-line dress pattern that came with many options including strapless. So much better!! No bitching and fighting with the new pattern. The bust ease is huge though. According to the size chart (I wear a Misses size 4/6 in Off the rack), It says that my bust is 12 and my waist/hips are a 8/10. Hmmmm…Still had to do some altering anf after reading other people’s experience with this pattern, I was told that the bust ease is at least off by 2 inches. I cut the 12 and widdled it down about 2 inches in the bust and almost three in the waist. In hindsight I should have cut the 10. For those not experienced with commercial patterns. They do not use your real world off the rack clothing size. They o by body measurements starting at size 6. So 6 is like and Xtra-Xtra Small. Patterns are also made for B Cup sized women. I guess they consider it average. Personally most women I know are over C cups. Me…eh…DDD/E. Can you see where my issue is now? If it fits in the bust, the waist is always huge. With the exception of Spandex and stretchy clothes, I have to tailor everything. Button up blouses? Forget-a-bout-it! Can’t wear them unless I make them.
So I worked the new Voque pattern out. View C. Very pleased. Even the altering was super easy on this one. It’s rated for a “Easy” sew. Personally, beginner folks can do this but the boning might give some people issues if they have never put any on a garment.
I altered the pattern in the bust, waist and plan to make it much shorter (Have not hemmed yet). I decided because the fabric was quite see-thru, to completely line it with the same fabric. I just barely had enough. I also changed the front bodice line from straight to a more sweetheart bustline in order to get the same silhouette as She-Ra in the cartoon.
Dress pattern, I used View C
Here’s a pic before hemming (I need to iron too, so forgive the wrinkles)
I will finish the hemming tonight (by hand..ugh)
I also cut out the bodice top decorations. And made all the patterns for the front dress emblem to cut out later.
Fun Foam cutout for the bodice top
The front of her gown looks like this…
I will do the belting more like the original reference pic I posted in my first blog. I think it adds more character and interest.
I need to go retrieve my Wig from David’s, so I can adjust the headdress. But here it is.
Why do I look so Glum? Oh Yeah, the cat threw up...lol
As for my other costume, Molotov. I got the unitard. It’s a Bal Togs, good quality. I traced an opening, cut out the mock neck and cut away at the fabric until I got the right shape. I them finished the edges with a roll hem…easy peasy. Next the engineering comes with using clear straps and double-sided tape. For final fitting I’ll have pics.
Unitard cutting lines
I also got my red sexy boots for the character. Heck, I’ll wear them out. they are actually comfy!
Boots for Molotov
I finished the eye patch and the Hip belt (No pics yet). Still working on turning vinyl strips into a gun belt and holster. I ran out of E6000 Glue which is the only thing that seems to work on holding the vinyl together. So another trip to Wal-Mart is in order.